Thursday, December 18, 2008

Do you hate missing the point of stories?





Steven Curtis Chapman Lyrics
The Great Adventure Lyrics

I love stories and I love to tell them. Most of us do. The thing I hate the most is when I forget part of a story someone tells me or I miss out on a story only to hear the punchline.

I remember back in 1995, I was at a concert seeing Pam Thum. For those of you unfamiliar with Pam’s work, my personal favorites are I Will Stand and In the Middle of It All. However, Pam tells a story about one of her songs called Starting to Rain. She went to a foreign country and it hadn’t received rain in a period of time and as she began to perform the song, the rain started to fall. I can tell you that Pam Thum is not a weatherman and there was not rain in the forecast. But I forget the rest of the story. To me, I will always remember how awestruck I was as she told the story. The song is quite beautiful, but I could not find a video or audio of it to put on the page, so unfortunately, you’ll have to go look for the song yourself today. As you can see, missing the story doesn’t have the full impact.

In reading my bible, I have the same struggles. I love reading the New Testament because of the stories of Jesus. I also love hearing the stories of Paul because he is so interesting. He changed so drastically in his life after his conversion. He went from killing Christians to loving them and speaking truth to save them. But admittedly, I struggle through the Old Testament. I get through some parts just fine, but I just seem to go into trance mode somewhere after hearing Psalms and Proverbs. I’ve even started at the back of the Old Testament and can’t get back either. I’ve made one of my goals for 2009 to read through the entire bible once. I’m hoping that at 40 (by the time I finish), that God will open my eyes to see the parts I struggle through as important to the entire story.

I chose Steven Curtis Chapman’s The Great Adventure as today’s video because I couldn’t find Starting to Rain and because all of us are on our great adventure in this life. (I debated between that and Toby Mac’s Stories. I recommend that one too.) We are on a great adventure. A new adventure starts with each new day because we never know who we’re going to meet or exactly what we’re going to see. I can tell you if you are a believer of Christ what you will see when He comes to take us home. If you read Revelation chapter 21 you’ll get a fuller picture. One of the verses that gets me excited as a people person is about the Holy City. This is verse 16. “The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long.” The measurement for 12,000 stadia is about 1400 miles. For those of you that struggle with math like I do the Old Testament, that is like St. Louis to Baltimore and down to Miami. The other point would be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico between New Orleans and Texas. Talk about long commutes. Then I thought about height. How about 1400 miles up? That makes the Arch in St. Louis look like a curved Pez.

So I hope you enjoy your journey and think about streets of gold that are pure. Yeah, that means you could see under the streets. Isn’t that really cool?

I love you guys,
Frank

No comments: