Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lord, keep me humble, on pace with The Message and make my blog one of High Calling





4 Him Lyrics
The Message Lyrics

When I started with the idea of this ministry, I came full knowing that I wanted to make a difference in peoples’ lives and be an encouragement to them as they live the life of Christ. This weekend I got really excited as my numbers finally got to a point on Facebook that they list all of my blogging activity and where the highest concentration of where people are from. I got even more excited as I looked up encouragement as a keyword and saw that my little blog has become one of the top popular blogs in the Blog Network over there. My wife could feel my pride welling up. Never fear, she carries the pin.

She asked me to tell her and the kids the story of Noah from Genesis, chapters 6-9. It didn’t take me very long to get her point. Noah was 500 years old when he began building the ark and it took him a hundred years to get it ready. She liked telling the part that the only converts were his wife, three sons and their wives. That’s right. No one else.

Day after day, Noah and his sons would work on that ark. The Bible doesn’t tell us much about those days. You know there were scoffers and mockers. If you’ve seen the movie Evan Almighty, you get the idea of how much the idea would’ve been made fun of in modern times. But Noah did as the Lord commanded. He didn’t worry about the number of the converts. Thanks honey for making sure I stay humble.

I couldn’t imagine it, a hundred years without one person changing their heart to what God wanted. I struggle when days go by that I don’t get a comment or two. That tells you how much more in tune with God that Noah was. That is why it is as important for me to pray for the endurance of Noah as it is for everyone else. It’s a prayer that will help me focus on why I am writing.

I love to encourage people with my writing, but I find that I need encouragement too. That’s why it is great to find other writers that are writing about God and how He makes a difference in our lives. I was reading an article written by Craig McDole over at Doorkeeper’s Journal (doorkeepersjournal.net). He was writing about resolve and pulled up 1 Corinthians 2:1-5. Craig talked about how Paul was being humble in his writing to the Corinthians (v. 1-2, KJV)"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Craig’s prayer was something I could definitely agree with. As much as I want to draw people to what I am writing, I really want to draw people to Christ and His Lordship, not Frank and his comments. I want people to see the changing power of Jesus in me, but not that I am the author of that change. To God be the Glory, I just am lucky enough that I get to ride along.

That ride has brought back some of my past in joining Facebook. In 2000, I arrived at Bible Baptist Church and soon after that arrival, Pastor Randy Jackson asked me to join him in the teen department and work with teenagers. Short of the time that I’ve spent with my own three children and my wife, the two plus years I spent with those teens were the best of my life. I was given the opportunity to see the lives of teenagers grow in Christ and see great things. I left there in October 2002 after getting married, but have always tried to keep in touch with them.

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been able to connect with many of them through Facebook. It has been great. In the last week alone, I’ve had several conversations via the internet on how the memories of our times together had helped them grow beyond their teen years and into adulthood. Some of those kids to me then are having kids of their own and have matured into fantastic moms and dads, husbands and wives. Again, it does make me proud. But I realize that anyone could have stepped into my role and did what I did. There were other great adults there. I think of Danny and Sue White and the Peters and Marty and Gail Williams and the fact that their action with the teens taught me something too. God has done and continues to do great things.

I loved it last night after talking to Philip Philogene. I went to bed shortly afterwards and found myself just thinking of the times I had there. I thought of him and some of the other people that I had so much fun with. I laid there and started just thanking God for them. I sit crying tears of joy as I type this just thinking back. I want to have those kind of memories again.

After being away from there for almost six years, I finally feel like I’m in a church where that can happen. But I’m also here on the internet. As I said earlier, I just love writing about how good God is. I love reading it too. I’ve just joined a new community of writers that is doing the same. They are sharing the good news. If you want to read some of them, you can go check out HighCallingBlogs.com. They have four types of blogs and plenty of resources for Christians that want to learn and be encouraged. Give them a visit and tell them that One Man Revival sent you.

I love you guys!
Frank

3 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

What a great post.

And welcome to High Calling Blogs!

Jennifer said...

Welcome to High Calling Blogs. It's a great place to bless others, and to be encouraged as well.

L.L. Barkat said...

One joined with many... that's a powerful thing.

Blessings as you make your way in the High Calling community.