Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hate, Hate, Hate, The Epilogue

OK gang, I have a challenge for all of you. If you accept the challenge, please post your response below or at my email onemanrevival@yahoo.com.

Here's the challenge. I have heard from a couple people this week how they are not fans of the church, think the church is a crutch or have not attended church in a very long time. I actually had one person say they hated the church. I think hate is a strong word, but I'll go with it. Personally, I think irritation might be more appropriate. However, this is a two-part question

1) For non-Christians, what makes you not like the church, have irritation with the church or keep you from coming to church? What might give you an inclination to come?

2)For Christians, what are things that bug or irritate you about the church (not your own specifically, but in general)? What would you like to see the church do to help you bring your Christian or non-Christian friends?

I am taking all these answers and will discuss some of these in the future. I will let you know that the first one I will be using some of these is called Hate, Hate, Hate, God Hates a Few Things Too. I am setting a deadline of next Sunday to give me your thoughts and I'll be writing that one on February 9th. I will have other commentaries this week, Lord willing.

I love you guys!
Frank

8 comments:

Mike Ferber said...

I would like to see the Church (and by that I mean Christians) more engaged in caring for creation - humankind's first mandate in Genesis 2:15.

Marcus Goodyear said...

Oh man. GREAT questions and a big can of worms for me.

Monica @ Paper Bridges said...

I'm a no. 2.

Gossip, a LAME women's ministry that only wants to do bake sales and retreats, gossip, overly sensitive folks that leave over the stupidest things, laziness, a unwillingness to get involved.

YET. I'm crazy about my fellowship. We've been there 12 years this fall and love our pastor, his wife and a bunch of forgiven Christ-followers. Can't imagine ever walking away from the Body, it's such a huge part of who I am.

Keith said...

For non-Christians, what makes you not like the church, have irritation with the church or keep you from coming to church?

Being non-Christian.

His Humble Servant said...

Pride. Just finished a great study on these, Charles Stanley's book "The Landmines that All Believers Face." Wow what a book! I would recomend it to all! Thanks for the post! I would love your feedback on what we are doing at yakahblog.com as well! God Bless!
-Ben

Satchel Pooch said...

Not to be pedantic, but there is (arguably) a third category: Christians who don't currently attend a church. In very broad terms, I'd love to find a church where they actually (try to) walk their talk.

cindyhan111 said...

well I linked in through Marcus's page... I'm not going to try to repeat myself on my second post, you can read it there... I just wanted to express the appreciation for what you are trying to accomplish. the dialogues are good... I will leave it at that...

Peter said...

Church for me has been a rollercoaster over many years. First experience was a choir boy singing in three services a week for a dime a service. We got a tiny brown envelope once a month with 12 shiny new dimes....in the oldest Anglican church in Canada. It was 10 blocks from the harbour in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A piece of a ship was embedded in a wall by the enterence from a great explosion in the harbour during WWI. Church was always a place until I became a Christian - then it gradually became much more. As my relationship with God deepened, so did my view of the church: from a place to a living body of people - all at various stages of relationship with God. When I had a hard time with church, I was really having a hard time with God. Church rebellion was for me God rebellion. I'm learning to be content in church, because I'm becoming more and more content with God....