Saturday, February 14, 2009

Part 2: What Body Part Am I? Just Hope You're Not the Buttocks





Audio Adrenaline Lyrics
Never Gonna Be as Big as Jesus Lyrics

Last time, we took a look at some things God hates and a few of your comments about the church. This time, we take a different look.

The comments I got from the hate piece came via email. I also was asked a couple questions. The first person asked me if I am a pastor. I will say that I am not a licensed minister, if that is what you are asking. I am nine hours away from a master’s degree in biblical leadership from Greenville College. My degree is in elementary education, K-8, but I have had experience in ministry thanks to some mature Christians who expected me to step out of the pew after my salvation. For them, I am eternally grateful. Most of them taught me the Great Commission.

Mat 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Mat 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

I took this responsibly once I understood it. Hopefully, I am helping to do that with this ministry. So far in just under six months, One Man Revival has been read on three different continents (North America, Europe and Asia). I’m grateful that this ministry could be seen by anyone. I’m always nervous about how things come across in translation, which is why I try to use scripture with everything I am talking about. First, so that it isn’t just my examples, but secondly and more important, by using God’s Word, there is no error. Scripture tells us that God’s Word never returns void (Isaiah 55:11).

The second question I will examine a lot more closely than the first. I was asked if One Man Revival represents a church. The short answer is no. But I’ll give you a long answer to be clearer in what I mean and also to explain how ministries like mine should work.

Webster’s Dictionary has interesting definitions of the word ministry.

MIN'ISTRY, n. [L. ministerium.] The office, duties or functions of a subordinate agent of any kind.
1. Agency; service; aid; interposition; instrumentality.
He directs the affairs of this world by the ordinary of second causes.
2. Ecclesiastical function; agency or service of a minister of the gospel or clergyman in the modern church, or of priests, apostles and evangelists in the ancient. Acts 1. Rom 12. 2 Tim 4. Num 4.
3. Time of ministration; duration of the office of a minister, civil or ecclesiastical.
4. Persons who compose the executive government or the council of a supreme magistrate; the body of ministers of state.
5. Business; employment.

The first definition talks of the primary function. It means a service or aid. I personally like this definition the best because it explains the word perfectly for what I do. I’ll explain that more in a moment. The second definition speaks of the church definition. I really never thought of myself in this definition until a friend spoke to me about it a week or two ago. He called me a “writing evangelist.“ The third breaks down the first two as being comparable. I argue with that comparison on only one front. I have a teaching degree and was a teacher in the school system. I considered my job important, but I felt the intensity of teaching the Gospel when I started working with Sunday school classes. In both you have to prepare, but teaching the Word of God is for eternity, not just to make sure you function well in this life. I always get a nervousness in my belly every time I teach the Word of God. I pray for the right words for people. The fourth definition talks more of a United Nations type position, the minister of a country. I think that we, as Christians, forget about this definition. Why? We don’t want to think of ourselves as being ambassadors of the Gospel message in our daily lives. First, there is the pressure of living up to that standard and the secondly, unfortunately for the world, most of us don’t want that standard every minute of the day. We live in a society that says we should have it our way, not God’s way. The last sees a ministry as a job or where you work. We don’t think a lot about this definition either. One of my pastor friends said this almost in passing, “Your work is your ministry. How you do your job tells people about your life.” It’s so true. God tells us this in Colossians 3:23-24, “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.” We are not just working for our boss, we are working for The Boss, and I am not talking Bruce Springsteen here.

So while it is very important that I do a great job with my ministry, I am only part of the church, not a church on my own. Jesus is the head of the church, we (meaning all Christians) are part of the body. I think that 1 Corinthians 12 explains this best.

1Co 12:12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.
1Co 12:13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
1Co 12:14 Now the body is not made up of one part but of many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
1Co 12:16 And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?
1Co 12:18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
1Co 12:19 If they were all one part, where would the body be?
1Co 12:20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
1Co 12:21 The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"
1Co 12:22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,
1Co 12:23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,
1Co 12:24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it,
1Co 12:25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.
1Co 12:26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
1Co 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

As One Man Revival Ministries or as Frank Jenkins, I’m just like you. I accepted Christ and became part of the body. At that moment, when I said yes to Jesus, I became one more man in the revival of what God intends for us here on this planet and for eternity. God has given me decent ability to put sentences together and put my thoughts in an understandable order for you to read. He gave other people better abilities at other things. There are people I know that have better financial understanding than I do. There are others that have wisdom to advise me when I don’t understand a scripture. There are others that have the ability to handle 25 screaming toddlers for eight hours. I barely do well with my three screaming toddlers.

You have a gift to serve. That scripture in Matthew that I gave you in the beginning of this writing is your job once you accept Christ. It doesn’t mean you have to pack your bags and head to Africa or China or downtown Los Angeles, even though it might for some of you. Some of you were given these gifts to serve in your own community. That means that you have a ministry too because you are part of the body. So here is what you do.

1)Take a look around when you are sitting at church or in your community and notice the needs. Clean your ears and listen up. Once you hear something that says, “Hey I can do that!” Go to step 2.

2)Get up and talk to the person in charge. No, that does not mean to tackle your pastor as he comes off the stage from preaching. Have you ever seen church being run by the same six people because no one else will step up and take initiative. Talk to one of them. If they aren’t in charge, I’m fairly certain they will guide you to the right person. They might even hug you along the way. Why? Because you are a blessing lightening their load.

3)Get involved and you will be a minister. A part of the body that is helping people in the church. Remember one thing, though. Be zealous, but don’t overdo it. Don’t forget to still listen while you work. There are people in the church that have wisdom. You may call them senior citizens or the old folks of the church, but these people have been around the mountain a few times and they will share nuggets of their journey that you will carry with you forever. Proverbs 27:17 tells us, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.”

I encourage you to step out of your pew and join the revival. Because as the slogan of my ministry states: A One Man Revival starts with YOU!

I love you guys!
Frank

1 comment: