Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Christian Life, Oh It's a Gas!





Lyrics | Stacie Orrico Lyrics | Don%27t Look At Me Lyrics

Warning: If you are the type of Christian that is all serious, you might want to skip this. And please, if you are, please go out and buy a sense of humor. Not just for you, but all of us.

I get asked all the time why I am so funny. OK, maybe not that often. When I tell people I did stand-up at amateur nights, people look at me like, right. But I did in the mid 90’s before and after I got saved. I got inspired by people like Mark Lowry, Steve Geyer and others that were doing milder material in my early Christian years. But when I did stand-up, it was in comedy clubs. People got on my case for doing my act in the pits of a bar. My defense at the time was that if Jesus could hang out with a tax collector, I could hang out with some drinkers and maybe tell a story or two that might convince them to change their lives. I didn’t have a way to track salvations or people I brought a step closer to it, but someday maybe someone will tell me that my comedy got them into heaven. That would be really cool.

During those days, I always had people ask me how I could come to a club and be saved. It was about the same asking from Christians and non-Christians, but Christians were meaner about it. It was like I was breaking a commandment being seen with sinners in a bar. I was having fun drinking my Diet Coke, watching sports and making jokes.

I didn’t drink. Why? Not so much because the Bible says not to, but for my own reasons. I’ve lost family and friends to alcohol, I’m diabetic and truthfully, most of the stuff taste horrible. Those are enough of a turnoff for me. So you know I don’t recommend it to anyone. Ephesians 5:18 tells us not to be drunk with wine, drinking in excess. It doesn’t say you can’t drink, but have some sense about how much you drink. Now I know that some will say that being in a place of sin tempts you to sin and those I say, you may be right. 1 Corinthians 10:31-32 says this: “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God”. Here’s my retort. Don’t take a brother anywhere he might stumble and for goodness sake, don’t do something in front of a brother that will tempt him. My dad was an alcoholic for 35 years and gave it up seven years ago. I wouldn’t take my dad anywhere that he could be tempted because I love him. In turn, he probably isn’t going to put a three layer cake in front of me and say, “go get it, tubby.” Because I would eat it, or at least as much as I can.

Anyhow, a lot of folks have the opinion that you stop having fun the day you say I do to Jesus. It’s not true. I still have my sense of humor. In John 10:10, Jesus tells us that he has come to give us life and to have it more abundantly. It doesn’t mean we won’t struggle, but Jesus wants us to have a better life after he comes. Does better life happen without joy and laughter? I say not. Jesus told the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more. He didn’t tell her that because she sinned that she could never have joy.

We laugh at all kinds of stuff or at least we’re supposed to. We are not to laugh at sin, but anything else is fair game. I love to tickle my kids, but I know when to stop. I don’t let them tinkle from tickling. That would be sinful. But I do allow the kids to laugh with the Tickle Monster.

People also get upset about bodily functions. When we are hungry, what happens? Our tummy grumbles. Everyone laughs. Guys pass gas and they laugh hysterically. A friend of mine and I used to make a joke about passing gas. We would pass gas everywhere. During Hurricane Katrina, my friend had to come live with me. He and I began using phrases. The offender gasser would say, “I Farted” and the victim of the gas would say, “Sniff it.” We would both laugh. My oldest daughter was 16 months at the time. This went on until after he left.

One day, we were in Wal-Mart and were walking down an aisle when a man my age was trying to be discreet and tell his elderly mother that she should go to the restroom. She yelled at him, “I didn’t crap, I farted.” Without missing a beat, my daughter said, “sniff it.” Yep. She sure did. I motored out of the aisle into the next one and asked her to repeat what she said. She did. I laughed all the way through the store.

Most women are crazy about gas and not in a good way. They don’t even like to admit they pass gas. But they do. Today, I was reading one of my favorite artists’ Facebook page and she and her manager were passing good ones back at each other. I was impressed that they would admit that in a public forum. But it got funnier. Over 50 Christians later, every fart joke that could be made was. I even suggested they do a Milli Vanilli knockoff video called “Blame It On (the person’s name, I protect the inno-scents in this case, thanks to whoever gave me that one).”

I guess what I am saying today is that the Christian life is a gas. We still have fun. We just don’t go out and do the sinful things we used to. God wants us to change, that is true. But changing is a process in most cases. I know it is in me. We don’t instantly go to heaven when we’re saved. We still live the rest of our lives in this body that is prone to sin. We still remember the things that were funny before we were saved. Sometimes they stay funny, sometimes they don’t. So the encouragement for today is to smile if you are a Christian. It won’t hurt. I promise. And if you’re not a Christian, remember that yes there are things in your life that God wants to change in you, but I promise you even more that your life will not go stale and boring because you become part of the family of God.

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: