Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wisdom Wednesdays: A Little From Solomon





Lyrics | Third Day Lyrics | Revelation Lyrics

Hey gang!

Another new feature that is becoming part of the regular week is starting today. Hump day of the week here on One Man Revival will be known as Wisdom Wednesdays for the forseeable future. What will the day’s writings be about, you ask? Well, it will be items that will add to our wisdom of course. Today, I’m going to take a few of my favorite proverbs from the wisest king of the Bible, a man named Solomon and give you a few thoughts on them. In other weeks, it may be something I’ve read that’s talking about wisdom, but hopefully it will be something that makes you a little wiser. Hopefully, things I write here every day make you wiser, but I digress.

To give you a little background on Solomon, people often think that Solomon asked to be the wisest man in all Judea and that is not the case. Solomon asked this in 1 Kings 3:9, “So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” Think about that. He asked for a discerning heart that would be able to distinguish right and wrong. That really should be our prayer daily. For those in politics, this should be their battle prayer.

God was pleased and this was His response (1 Kings 3:11-14), So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for the discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for--both riches and honor--so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” Pretty impressive. Don’t you wish the leaders of today would use Solomon’s approach?

If you read 1 Kings 4-11, you will see the rest of his story. You’ll see that he was the wisest of all kings before and after him. You’ll also see that he built the temple to God and how he helped bring the ark of the covenant to the temple. You’ll see a description of all the wisdom and wealth he attained and you’ll also see that he still had opposition and as chapter 11 closes, Solomon passes and is replaced by Rehoboam.

His Biblical accomplishments above that are the three books that he wrote for the Bible, Ecclesiastes, The Song of Solomon and the one he is known most for, Proverbs. The NIV Rainbow Study Bible describes Proverbs as an assortment of wise sayings relating spiritual truths and common sense. They are practical, timeless and ideal for memorizing. Proverbs might be best known for the last chapter in which Solomon gives a close look at the attributes of a Godly in relation to her family and neighbors.

Today, I’ll give you a few of my favorites, with a little added commentary.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
My personal favorite and the first Proverb I ever memorized. I remember in April 1994 the first time Tom Zawacki ever said it to our little Bible study group. He used it to illustrate how we needed one another on this walk toward Heaven with God. We always need Jesus first, but we need each other too.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord will all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight.
This Proverb is important in telling us that even though we have given our lives at salvation, we still don’t know it all. That’s why we need the Holy Spirit to help us discern what is right and wrong.

Proverbs 13:20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.
This is one of those verses that makes me admire studious people. I love having chats with people who have been reading scripture and other Godly material, not only because it makes me smarter, but it improves my character as well.

Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.
This isn’t a man-bashing verse ladies. This is verse that tells us that two heads are better than one and that unity finds favor with God. Okay, maybe you are smart, too. LOL.

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
This verse tells us that we are to have an active role in the raising of our children. It always stirs me up when I hear parents say that it’s the teacher’s job to train our kids. Teachers are great people, but they are not solely responsible for your kids to turn out right.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.
God is still teaching me on this one. I love to talk about what I plan to do. But I have also learned that I have three children and a wife that have plans for me too (even if they aren’t scaled out like mine). It’s nice to have a plan, but to boast about it as if it is stone is a dangerous wall ready to collapse on you.

Proverbs 27:19 As water reflects a face, so a man’s heart reflects the man.
My daily prayer has become, “Lord, create in me a clean heart.” (Psalm 51:10). I just want to be right when I speak, when I walk and when I type to all of you. It’s God’s guidance that I need and desire. Anything else is less than good enough.

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: