Sunday, May 31, 2009

Marriage Monday: Close the Grand Canyon and Love From New Hope's Marriage Ministry



Hey gang!

Today for Marriage Monday, I have a thought of connection and then I’m going to share some things from my church’s Marriage Ministry newsletter.

It was the 1980’s when Rick Springfield came out with a song that speaks to one of the major giftings of being married, Human Touch. He told us that we all needed it, and not just him but all of us need it so.

Sometimes we get so consumed that we forget that. Today, I was sitting in a Sunday School class and I sit in a chair next to the wall. I had always put my books down in the seat next to me because I had been going to class by myself because my wife was helping out in the nursery. I didn’t think about it.

My wife sat in the seat next to the books and didn’t say anything. However, about midway through class I realized something. I was the only husband in class not sitting directly next to my wife. That’s right. The only one. I said nothing to my wife about it thinking that she probably didn’t care. However, we got home and she asked my daughter Megan a question while we were standing in the kitchen. “Megan, are daddy and mommy close to each other standing where we are?” Of course we weren’t. We were almost on opposite sides of the kitchen. She next instructed Megan to show daddy what close to mommy meant. Message delivered. I ran up and gave her neck kisses and apologized.

If you think your spouse needs more loving touches today, give them, freely and often.

_____________


Below will be a couple things from New Hope Marriage Ministry’s Monthly Newsletter. Why do I talk about this ministry? Simple. I’ve shared in other Marriage Mondays that my wife and I did not always have the best marriage. Sometimes I was being a dolt like above and sometimes, well, we just weren’t doing well.

Last September, we had been at New Hope about six months and really hadn’t gotten involved in Sunday School. We made excuses, like a lot of people. We decided to take the first Marriage class offered by the newly evolving Marriage Ministry at the time. The class was taught by Bill and Lisa Teichmiller and Mike and Jackie Walker. The thing that they stressed was that no marriage was perfect and that they had to work on theirs just like everyone else. When you watch these guys most of the time, they do it seemingly naturally.

But one Sunday, after several calm, cool and smooth classes, Mike and Jackie admitted how much they struggled putting the lesson for that day together. Honestly, I’d always thought Mike was the funnier of the group and that gave him a touch more credibility with me. Why? I like funny. But it was his sincerity that turned my attitude of the class around and got me to realistically focus on my marriage. I had seen frustration in my wife Mindy and I had always been able to joke through it.

By the time the class was over, I was being more honest with her and with the class of how I was struggling to be a good husband and dad. The class was one of the major reasons why I wanted to focus on marriage so much for others with One Man Revival. The great part is that all of them have been encouraging of this ministry.

In the early part of this year, Bill and Lisa began teaching a Marriage 911 class. My wife didn’t want to take the class for several reasons, foremost because she didn’t want everyone to think that we were struggling that badly. We were turning things around. I read the book anyway. I used an excerpt from Marriage Turnaround a few weeks back. The book is awesome and gives you real insight to better your marriage no matter where you are. So a little bit from the desk of New Hope’s marriage Ministry.

Marriage Prayer Event at Bliss Park in Effingham on June 18 at 6:30pm.

We know that marriage is more about making us holy than happy, so that is why the Marriage Ministry Team is putting together a prayer event at Bliss Park. We usually meet every third Thursday for our traditional Date night. But we have had so many requests to pray for people’s marriages we thought we would plan our event for June for anyone who would like to stand in the gap for a family member’s or friend’s marriage.

Marriages in our community need your support, so please mark your calendar and be prepared to be blessed by attending. We know it will bless your own marriage as well. We are challenging every married couple in our church to pray for another couple they know are struggling to have a great marriage. Prayer is powerful and your prayers for another marriage just might be the start of something wonderful in the lives of your family and friends.

Support For Marriages- “Focus of Marriage Ministry”

Do you need prayer for your husband, wife or friend’s marriage? Are you or someone you care about experiencing struggles and would value prayer or support?

So many marriages are experiencing troubles in the current days. Financial burdens, problems with children, abuse, infidelity, apathy and insecurity in the home are just a few of the vast number of issues afflicting married couples today.

Whether you are a Christian or non-believer, we are here to love and support you, and to pray you through the trials you might be facing. God loves marriage, and He loves you. It is his desire that you have a loving, whole, prosperous and blessed marriage.

If you are facing challenges today, we invite you to contact us at teich@mmtcnet.com. We treat every prayer request as completely confidential, and we will intercede for you and your marriage daily, because we know that God moves when we pray.

We wish to pray for you and assure you that God wants to work in your marriage, to change the circumstances that are causing you pain, and to bless each of us with personal wholeness and happy marriages. If you are not experiencing that wholeness, because of what seems to be the smallest of issues to the greatest, God wants to touch your marriage and touch your life.

Historically, June has always been the most popular month for weddings. That is where the term “June bride” comes from. The month of June derives its name from Juno, the roman Goddess of marriage. It was anciently thought that couples who married in June would be blessed with prosperity and happiness.

Finally the Mission Statement and Scripture Verse of the Marriage Ministry:

Mission Statement: Trustworthy people of faith that stand in the gap for struggling/crisis marriages by providing prayer, encouragement & hope along with resources to restore and renew marriages and families.

Scripture: 2 Thessalonians 3:5 : May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.


Thanks for taking time out to read today’s Marriage Monday!

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: