Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wisdom Wednesday: Some more about Righteous



Hey gang!

Last week, we started looking at some words about being righteous. Today, we’ll finish up what the Bible says in Solomon’s words of Proverbs.

Proverbs 12:3 tells us that “A man cannot be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted.” Even in the storms of life, righteous people stand strong.

A righteous person is aware and caring for his surroundings. Solomon says, “A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.” It’s almost amazing sometimes that people take better care of their pets than they treat people.

I find this verse of Proverbs 12 interesting. Verse 26 tells us, “A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten more selective as to who my friends are. I make acquaintances with everyone, but letting someone in to the inner circle of my friendship, that’s harder than it used to be. Part of me may be skeptical of people. Some people might call that wisdom though.

Proverbs 13:21 is one of those verses that the “name it and claim it” people grab for. “Misfortune pursues the sinner, but prosperity is the reward of the righteous.” I think this is more about being smart with the money, gifts, other things of life that God gives you rather than the, “Hey, if I am righteous, I can have what I want.”

“When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous have a refuge,” is Proverbs 14:32. Have you ever been to a funeral of a righteous person? Even though the talk always turns to how the Christianity of a person was, you get the feeling that this person was a hero to some.

If you’ve ever known a person that “shoots first and asks questions later,” this verse is for them. Proverbs 15:28 says, “The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.”

Proverbs 16:31 tells us that, “Gray hair is a crown of splendor; It is attained by a righteous life.” So what does white hair mean? No hair? Just asking.

“The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him,” is Proverbs 20:7. The verse doesn’t say perfect life, but it is a man that knows how to apologize and then live on in peace.

I often think of Bob Carlisle’s “We Fall Down” when I read this verse, Proverbs 24:16. “For though a righteous man falls down seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.” We fall down, but we get up!

Do you ever notice that evil people get caught in their own traps? I know it happens to Wile E. Coyote that way. Proverbs 29:6 says, “An evil man is snared by his own sin, but a righteous one can sing and be glad.

Proverbs 23:24 says that, “The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.” I really hope that my dad (both earthly and heavenly) can say this about me.

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: