Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wisdom Wednesday: Fear Crossing the Boss?



Hey gang!

All of us have bosses. Bosses at work, bosses at home. Always telling us what to do, how to do it, how quickly it needs done and how it needed to be done yesterday. As I was reading this morning, I found our verse today not in Solomon’s words of Proverbs, but in his writing of Ecclesiastes.

Ecc 10:4 If a ruler’s anger rises against you, do not leave your post; calmness can lay great errors to rest.

Have you ever had that seemingly crazy boss that ranted and raved like a football coach in the middle of two practices a day. When I was managing a store a few years ago, the employees told me of a former manager that they were so glad that I wasn’t like. This boss actually would throw staplers across the room as she cursed at people. They told me that as soon as she had her temper tantrum she would go away, have some coffee and the world would return to normal.

I had an employee at the time that was very boisterous and she said, “I would’ve told her to save the drama for her mama!” She would have. But I think we can agree that it is very difficult to work for someone like that. It’s like waiting for a volcano to erupt. You know it’s coming, but you’re not quite sure when.

Proverbs 16:14 tells us that, “A king’s wrath is a messenger of death, but a wise man will appease it.” We have to be smart when we’re around bosses that act like this. The best example in my world is that I have three little bosses if I am trying to write during the day. They are adorable, but when they are not being served my three children can get rather ugly. When I try to buy myself 15 or 20 minutes more time, I will often go get a drink and snack for them. It appeases them temporarily and I can continue to write without hearing shouts of “wait on me or hold me daddy.”

This lesson of appeasement started in Genesis. Jacob was trying to return home and prepared for a meeting with his brother Esau. He had stolen Esau’s blessing by fooling his father into thinking that he was Esau. Jacob feared that Esau’s anger was still burning, even after being gone for many years. He sent messengers ahead of him. The good news is that Jacob and Esau reconcile in Genesis 33.

But aren’t you glad that every boss in your life is not like the crazy bosses you’ve worked for. You have one boss that is your heavenly father and he loves you. Psalm 121 even tells us how God will protect us from harm. The closing verses of the Psalm (verses 7-8) tell the story best. “The Lord will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” Amen!

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: