Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wisdom Wednesday: Favor is Just Part of the Blessing



Hey gang!

It’s time for another Wisdom Wednesday and today I started rereading Chapter 3 after looking up a word that I had been mulling over. A couple different people had mentioned this week to me that they had favor with the Lord and I find that word intriguing. I started looking to Solomon to see what he had said about the word favor.

Favor is mentioned nine times in Proverbs and there are some interesting remarks. Proverbs 8:35 tells us that whoever finds wisdom finds favor with the Lord. Proverbs 13:15 agrees as it tells us that good understanding wins favor. So by those two verses, we know that desiring knowledge helps us gain favor. Proverbs 12:2 tells us that a good man obtains favor from the Lord. So we have good and knowledge seeking so far.

Women will like Proverbs 18:22. “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.” Tell your husbands that the next time they want to argue about how much you bought at the mall. “Hey honey, don’t worry about what I bought. Just remember that you have favor from God just because you have me!”

Proverbs 19:12 speaks of a king’s wrath like a lion’s roar, but of his favor like dew on the grass. Sometimes I love looking at the grass right after sunrise just to see that morning dew supplying a little love for the hot day ahead.

You may have to think about Proverbs 28:23 for a moment. None of us like being put in our place, but Solomon tells us that, “He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue.” We love to be patted on the back, but sometimes a little attitude adjustment is necessary and in the long run is more beneficial for both the rebuker and the rebuked.

Finally though, I looked at Proverbs 3 and realized something. God often shows me a little extra if I take a moment to reread. I came to see that gaining favor is only part of the package in wisdom. The first 10 verses give us five totally different blessings.

1. Proverbs 3:1-2 If we don’t forget the teaching of wisdom and keep the Lord’s commands, we will gain longer life and prosperity.

2. Proverbs 3:3-4 If we live with love and faithfulness, we will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

3. Proverbs 3:5-6 This is the one we hear most often. If we trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding and in all our ways acknowledge God, he’ll make our path straight.

4.Proverbs 3:7-8 If we don’t think too highly of ourselves, trust God and shun evil, we will have health in our bodies and nourishment to our bones.

5. Proverbs 3:9-10 Finally, if we honor God with our wealth, then our house will be filled with food and drink.

Don’t you like the idea of getting all that along with favor? I know I do. I mean living longer, favor, a good name, a straight walk, good health and never going hungry is a pretty good way to go. Thank you God. May we always be faithful to be blessed as you want us to be.

I love you guys!
Frank

No comments: